The CNS Open Systems Group maintains the campus-wide open-access mailing list server.
This service is implemented with Listserv Email List Management Software and is usually referred to simply as 'Listserv'.
To subscribe to a list email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following command line in the body of the message (not the Subject):
subscribe (listname) (your first name) (your last name)
subscribe FICTIONAL-L Jane Doe
To unsubscribe to a list email email@example.com and include the following command line in the body of the message (not the Subject):
There are two major list types on the UF Listserv server -- standard lists and automated classroom lists. Any student, staff, or faculty, with an active UF affiliation can request a standard UF Listserv list. We ask that
You can read more information about establishing a list in Docweb document, D0099 E-Mail Lists at CNS: LISTSERV . This document describes email lists in general and explains your choices on the request form.
Only the instructor of record can request the creation of an automated classroom list. You can request the list via a link available to you in the portal (my.ufl.edu) or you can use the "Request creation of an automatically maintained class section mailing list" at http://lists.ufl.edu .
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete your request. You will need to have your class section number and your GatorLink userid and password to complete this process.
The lists take overnight to populate. You will receive an email to let you know when your list is ready to use.
While you do not need a password to use your list (send and receive messages), you do need a Listserv password to make changes to your list and to use the web interface for list management.
We strongly encourage you to use a Listserv password that differs from passwords protecting your work, academic, or personal logins. This is because listserv saves your password on your PC in a cookie.
If you forget your password, use this same procedure to establish a new one; do not select the Change Password option. The Change Password option requires you to remember the old password...
1. Go to http://lists.ufl.edu
2. Click on the link labeled "Mailing list management interface" at the bottom of the page.
3. Next to "Options:" click on the "Get Password" link. If "Options" does not appear, click on the link "get a listserv password first" in the text above the address and password fields.
4. In the field called "Email Address", enter the email address you intend to use to manage your lists.
5. Enter your new password in both of the remaining text boxes ("Password"; "Password (Again))".
6. Press the button titled "Register Password".
A confirmation email will be sent to the email address you entered above. When you receive this email, click the link included in the text. You should be sent to a web page that tells you your password is registered with the Listserv system.
You are ready to return to the "Mailing list management interface" link and login.
To delete your list please email firstname.lastname@example.org and request the deletion of your list. NOTE: only a listed owner can request this.
1. From the Listserv Dashboard, scroll down the table of your lists and click on the word "Configure" under the name of your list.
2. Click on the tab labeled "List Maintenance."
3. Scroll down the alphabetical list of keywords to the option you wish to change (Editors, Moderators, and Owners)
4. Enter, edit, or delete the email address (one per line) that you wish to change.
5. Press Submit
Notes on Adding Owners
There are two boxes associated with the "Owners=" keyword. The first box is for active owners. These owners will receive error messages to help them manage the list. Your list must have at least one active owner.
An address in the "Quiet:" text box will not receive error messages, but will retain the ownership privileges and rights of full owners.
Notes on Adding Moderators
Normally, the first editor listed is the primary editor and is the only person to receive messages to approve. The moderator function allows you to spread this duty among several people.
Every moderator that you add to your list must also be listed as an Editor. If you do not do this, the person you add as moderator will not get moderator access. Editors do not need to be listed as moderators.
When adding a moderator, it is necessary to choose in what order you want emails to be sent to those moderators for approval. This is done next to the "Moderator=" keyword.
Subscriber settings are an area of the Listserv Management Software that allows list owners to individually set options for users in relation to their list.
From the Listserv Dashboard, scroll down the table of your lists and click on the word "View" under the Subscribers column next to the name of the list you wish to populate. From this page, you can view your list members, add a new member, or delete one or more list members.
From the Listserv Dashboard, (click on the menu labeled "List Management" and select the option "List Dashboard."), scroll down the table of your lists and click on the word "View" under the Subscribers column next to the name of the list you wish to populate. From this page, you can view your list members, add a new member, or delete one or more list members
Add a Member
1. Scroll down to "Subscriber Management"
2. In the "Add Subscriber:" box, enter the email address and name of the new list member. The correct syntax is
email@example.com (Firstname Lastname)
3. Press the "Add Subscriber" button.
Delete a Member
1. Scroll down to the table of list members
2. Click on the box to the left of each subscriber that you wish to delete.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the subscribers list and press the "Delete Selected members" button.
Please note that this is not just a different way to the same screen, but ultimately brings you to a different screen entirely.
1. From the "List Management" menu at the top of the screen, select "Subscriber Management."
2. From the dropdown menu, select the list you wish to work with. From this page you can add, examine, and delete member subscriptions from your list.
Add a Member
1. In the "Add New Subscriber" box, enter the email address and name of the person you wish to add. Be sure to use one of the indicated formats.
2. Decide whether or not to send notification to your new member (click the appropriate radio button).
3. Press "Add to listname-L" to finish.
From this screen you can
1. If you are using Windows, go to the Start menu (lower left) and select "Programs"
2. Select Accessories
3. Select Notepad
4. Enter member information in this format, replacing "firstname.lastname@example.org firstname lastname" with the full email address and name of the member to be added or deleted. Be sure to put only one member per line in this file.
5. email@example.com firstname lastname
6. firstname.lastname@example.org firstname lastname
7. email@example.com firstname lastname
8. When you are finished entering member information, save your file.
1. Go to the file menu and select "Save As."
2. Make sure the file will save in a location that you can find again.
3. Save in text (txt) format (Save as Type)
4. Press Save
Back at the "Bulk Operations" tab, choose the option you want to use and click the button labeled "Browse".
In the "Choose File" window, navigate to your prepared plain text file, and press the "Open" button.
Press the "Import" button. When the page refreshes, you will see a message telling you if the operation was successful or not.
We cannot change the name of a list, you must request a new list.
A list archive is a collection of messages that have been sent to your list. If you have not requested this feature for your list, your messages are not being saved in an archive.
The Listserv software was created with the idea that those sending messages would not need a confirmation copy. However, many people prefer this feature. The following will go over how to have messages sent back to the person that sent them using the REPRO command. The first part will be for setting the command for future users and the second part will be for setting the command for current users. You must complete both parts of the procedure.
quiet set listname-L repro for *@*
This will set the repro option for all currently subscribed members of your list. The "quiet" option will do so without notifying every member of the change via email
There is a web interface to Listserv management.
If you have questions or need further assistance, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org